Normally when you flip to this page on Thursday's you're expecting our weekly segment Thirsty Thursday, right? Well before we bring that to you, and we will, I'd like to revisit the announcement of the completion of the 2011-12 Men's Basketball Roster. The names that filled the final two spots on the team were exactly what have been rumored here and other places in Zach Bohannon and Jordan Smith. Let's break these two walk-on's down, shall we?
Zach Bohannon: 6'8" 205lbs.
- Yes, this is the younger brother of former Badgers star Jason Bohannon, but no he's not the second coming of the sharpshooting guard.
- He will be coming to Wisconsin from the Air Force Academy and must sit out this upcoming season before becoming eligible in the 2012-13 season, he'll be a Junior in eligibilty and will be a huge assest for the scout team this year.
- Honestly this is a good fit for him in terms of his style of play, but he's not the 3 point bomber that Jason was and it wouldn't be fair at all to compare their games. Zach is more of an inside banger and may see some time off the bench when he becomes eligible.
Jordan Smith: 6'2" 180lbs.
- This kid was a steal as a walk on IMO, as he comes to us from the Wisconsin pipeline known as Minnesota. This past season he was able to lead his High School, Orono High School, to the Minnesota Class AAA State Championship.
- He averaged 21.5ppg, 3 assits, and 4 rebounds a game this past year and was named the MBBN State 3A Player of the Year.
- I have a feeling this might be one of the single best walk-on's the Badgers have had in Bo Ryan's tenure as the Badgers Coach.
- Don't expect a ton this season, but look for him to be a 3-point sharpshooter later in his career.
- Also helping his case is the fact that he was a former HS teammate of Badgers great Jon Leuer.
Honestly these two guys may not have that big of an overall impact on the 2011-12 season on the court, but look for a lot of really good scout team work and possibly some roles off the bench in the 2012-13 year. I could even see Smith earning a scholarship down the road, having seen this guy play in person at a few tournaments when he was a freshman I can tell you that he's just deadly beyond the arch and fits the Badgers program to a T. Good Luck to Zach and Jordan and welcome to Badgers Nation. Look for the regular Thirsty Thursday segment to come at you later today and as always.... ON WISCONSIN.
P.S. Don't forget to check out our gear at the WiscoBadgers Gear Store and remember not only are you supporting the best site dedicated to ALL Badgers Sports, but you are also helping our Charity of Choice... the JJ Watt Foundation!!